West Coast Railway Association Partnership: The Engine 374 Pavilion is run in partnership with the West Coast Rail Association (WCRA), the Vancouver Park Board, and the Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Association. The pavilion is staffed by volunteers through WCRA several hours per day, seven days per week year round (depending on volunteer availability). The Engine volunteers are enthusiastic supporters of all things “rail” and are happy to give visitors from all over the world a tour of the engine and provide some background on it’s interesting and colourful history as well as that of the CPR, turntable, and the history of the Roundhouse and Yaletown. For more information about WCRA, please go to their website
Engine 374 Pavilion
Admission is FREE, Open Daily Year Round
Summer hours: 10am-4pm
Winter hours: 11am-3pm
Please call the front desk for further details 604-713-1800 press 1
The Engine 374 Pavilion is located on the corner of Davie Street and Pacific Boulevard next to the Roundhouse (Community Centre), a 10-minute walk from downtown Vancouver, B.C.
May 23, 1887 was a great day for Vancouver, when CPR Engine 374 pulled the first transcontinental passenger train into the city. Crowds cheered, the city band played, ships in the harbour blew their horns, and hundreds of flags decorated the young city. It was a great day not only for Vancouver, but for the whole nation. The event heralded the completion of one of the greatest engineering feats of the century, a twin line of steel linking the new nation of Canada from coast to coast, ten years in construction.
In 1945, after many years of service, including the second World War, Engine 374 was finally retired. The engine was first placed in Kitsilano Park for all to see, and play on, but it suffered greatly from salt air and the passage of the seasons. In 1983, many dedicated citizens came to the engine’s rescue, and began the Herculean task of restoring the engine to its former glory. With additional funds raised through the Heritage Brick Program, the restoration was completed in time for EXPO 86, and there the refurbished engine was a prime attraction.
The unique Heritage Brick Program was a great success. $400,000 was raised for the refurbishing of the engine, by way of individuals who bought one brick or more for $19.86 each, and thereby had their names engraved on each of their bricks. Now all those “name” bricks are on display as part of the floor of the pavilion, much to the delight of all who contributed.
Now after more than 100 years, the engine has found its permanent home. The Engine 374 Pavilion, stands in the heart of the city for all to visit and admire as a valued part of our nation’s history.
LOCOMOTIVE NO. 374 – A HISTORIC SUMMARY
Canadian Pacific began to design its own locomotives in July 1883 with the hiring of F.R.F. Brown as the company’s second locomotive Superintendent. Canadian Pacific opened new shops in Montreal, and the first locomotives were built in 1883.
Restoring Engine 374 (by Glauce Fleury) | Read Blog Post
CPR Engine 374 (by 911caddy) | View Video
CPR 374 Anniversary (Canada) 2007 (by Sunny Wong) | View Video
CPR Engine 374Flickr slideshow | View Slideshow
Wikipedia | Read Article