Roundhouse Communications Assistant
Can you crank out a poster design in a couple of hours without breaking a sweat, whip up a meme frenzy on your favourite social media, get nice and cozy with WordPress, copyedit the smack out of they’re/their/there, and take notes like a boss…for the boss? This might be your lucky job day. Join our friendly, hard-working, fun-loving, collaborative team at the Roundhouse as our Communications Assistant. This brand new position is part-time.
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre
Monday, August 28, 2017, 9am
Voted Best Community Centre six times by the Georgia Straight, the Roundhouse has served the Yaletown neigbourhood, and Vancouver at large, since 1997. The Roundhouse is a recreation centre, an arts & culture space, and a historic site, all housed in one architecturally unique building. We provide the space and opportunity for Vancouverites and out of town visitors to lead a healthy life through our many programs and events.
- We are seeking a part-time Communications Assistant. The Communications Assistant is responsible for the design, copy and proofing of a wide range of print and web collateral, website and online media updates, assisting the Roundhouse Board, and supporting ad hoc projects. The Communications Assistant reports to the Communications Coordinator, working alongside a dedicated team of recreation and arts & culture staff.
- This position is with the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Society which operates the Roundhouse jointly with the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation.
- Collaborate with various team members to create print and web collateral for recreation and arts & culture program and events: graphic design, print production, copy writing, copy editing, and proofing.
- Deliver projects on or before deadline.
- Assist the Communications Coordinator with planning, designing and executing online communications strategies – website, newsletter, social media, etc.
- Assist the Roundhouse Board with their once a month meeting and once a year AGM. This includes: coordinating room bookings and refreshments, taking/distributing/filing meeting minutes, assisting the Board President, compiling and producing the Annual Report.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently, proactively, confidently and with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional communication skills and attention to detail. Storytellers and grammar nerds are welcomed.
- Familiarity and working knowledge of social media; in particular, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Instagram, Pinterest, YouTube.
- Experience taking minutes for board, and other, meetings
- Comfortable working in an open, loud, active space.
- A collaborative, fun work style coupled with a solid work ethic.
- An appreciation of arts & culture in Vancouver, and an affinity for local history.
- Highly proficient with Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat)
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- At ease with both PC and Mac systems
- Working knowledge of WordPress and HTML (Roundhouse website)
- Experience with Google Analytics
- Photography and videography skills are an asset.
- Working knowledge of Roberts Rules of Order is an asset.
- Preferred: typing speed of 50 WPM, or shorthand, for board/meeting minutes.
- Knowledge of Vancouver Park Board registration system, ActiveNet, is an asset.
- Degree in graphic design or communications plus a minimum of three years’ work experience, freelance or agency, or equivalent experience.
- Experience copywriting, copyediting/proofing
How to Apply:
Email a cover letter, résumé and portfolio (URL or PDF) to Hanne Lene Dalgleish at email@example.com with Roundhouse Communications Assistant in the Subject line by Monday, August 28, 2017, 9am. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hourly: $24.20 (includes 12% in lieu of benefits)
Two days a week plus 11 hrs/mo. Part-time schedule to be coordinated with the successful applicant. Includes at least one evening a month (4th Wednesday of the month).
Monday, October 2, 2017
Hanne Lene Dalgleish
Visit the City of Vancouver job opportunities page for current Vancouver Park Board positions.
Do you have a great program to suggest? Fill out our online Program Proposal form